Sunday, 12 February 2012

Friends coming to dinner

I promised a friend that I would make him some red cabbage when he called in and could smell some cooking and he and his wife were free this saturday.

To go with the red cabbage I did Slow Cooker Chicken, Roast Potatoes, Mange Tout, Baby Corn and Gravy with Raspberry Cheesecake for dessert.

As Rodders and I were having a busy day this took a bit of planning. On Friday evening I made the red cabbage and the cheesecake, saturday morning I peeled veg and put the slow cooker on. Rodders loved me being in the kitchen and is always around my feet looking to see what I am chopping. His absolute favourite is carrot but on Friday night he got to try the red cabbage stalk, some apple and a raspberry (which made a huge mess on the kitchen floor!) as well. He wasn't too keen on the apple but everything else was a success.

On saturday evening I mashed some of the carrot, parsnip and swede from the bottom of the slow cooker and out half in to my gravy as a thickener and the other half in to Rodders bowl to be mixed with his kibble as he loves this and always cleans his bowl. I kept some more back to be chopped in to his kibble over the next couple of days.

I have to confess that we both needed a nap after training school and our Ashridge walk and so we were running a little late. I did manage to have a shower, change  and to blow dry my hair before putting the roasties in, laying the table and making my gravy but dinner didn't get on to the table until after 8pm. Luckily Kev & Jane didn't mind us talking and drinking as I finished dinner off.

We had a really nice evening chatting, eating and drinking and they didn't leave until well after midnight. Rodders was really good all evening and, once he had got used to them, he was happy to lie on his fleece for most of the time. We did play with him and fuss him though so he wasn't totally neglected.

As I was clearing up I spotted that Kevin had left his mobile behind so I popped on my coat and Rodders lead and we had a quick walk around to theirs to deliver it back.  We eventually went to bed just after 1am.

No comments:

Post a Comment