Friday 13 January 2012

A worrying couple of days

As you have probably realised Rodders really hasn't eaten much at all this week and I have tried everything I could think of, used any idea OH had and asked for advice on the Schnauzer forum. The answers varied from get him to the vet, to put his bowl down & if he doesn't eat it in 15 minutes lift it and he will eat when he is hungry to he is just playing you to see if you will give in and give him back the yummy id diet.

I had decided that I was going to wait until the morning and then see if I could get a Vet Nurse check as you have to ring on the day for a saturday appointment.

And then.......

About 5.30pm he was playing with something on the kitchen floor and trying to eat it. As I knew he hadn't been given anything to eat I went to check what it was - A tooth!

About an hour later he asked for his supper for the first time in a week - I have been putting his meals down all week and lifting them again when he hasn't eaten them. I gave him a bowl of kibble and he ate most of it in one sitting.

I went back on the Schnauzer Forum to let them know and comments have come back saying Doh! Why didn't we think of that, Poor Rodders and suggestions of giving him scrambled eggs or soaked kibble.

About 9.30pm he lost another tooth so I popped him on the grooming table to check his mouth in case it was red or swollen, luckily it seems fine. I then combed him through and sorted out his gunky eyes. He was so good. As a treat I put down some soaked kibble for him and after looking at it for a minute and letting him eat some off my hand he wolfed it down - So it is soaked kibble for the next few days!

Now he has a full tummy he seems so much happier, I really could kick myself for not realising what was the matter with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment